Monday, March 14, 2011

Palo Duro and Caprock Canyons

This weekend I took a road trip with both my brothers and sister. This is the first time that all four of us have gone on a trip at the same time. I have done trips with each one individually but this is the first time with everyone. So the plan was to leave McKinney on Friday afternoon after work and head to Canyon, TX for the night. On Saturday we would spend the day at Palo Duro Canyon and in Amarillo and then on Sunday we would hike at Caprock. Then Sunday afternoon we would head for home.

Everything went as planned! We got to Canyon, TX just after midnight after a 5.5 hour drive in the minivan. Everyone got up early the next morning and we headed over to Palo Duro and did the hike out to the Lighthouse. It was a long hike and was pretty hard on Kevin but he made it out there and back. We ended up hiking for about 4 hours and covered about 8 miles. Later that afternoon we headed over to the Cadillac Ranch and spend some time unleashing our inner delinquent while spray painting some cars. Then it was on to the Big Texan for dinner.

On Sunday we went down to Caprock Canyons, which to me is nicer than Palo Duro because it is less traveled and more remove. The hiking out there is great and everyone enjoyed it. I took another shot at hiking to the top of Haynes Ridge since last time I was out there (2009) David and I ran out of time before we got to the top. I almost made it to the top before I ran into a trial blockage and I was just too tired to climb over it. I made it 90% of the was, oh well, I will get to the top next time. I will made sure I am in better shape next time I am out there.

After we left Caprock, we headed home and after 4 hours more in the car we rolled back into McKinney. It's always nice to come home after a trip and plop on the couch.

No comments: