Tuesday, November 22, 2011

All Done

It's amazing how much joy a little one can bring into a household, especially our little Samantha.  Karie and I are constantly laughing at the things that she does as she tries to figure this crazy world out. 

Because we usually spend our Thanksgiving in Indiana, we have gotten into the habit of setting up our Christmas tree the weekend before the holiday.  This way it is already setup when we get home and don't have to worry about it.  When we get back from Indiana we are so tired that setting up the tree became a burden and not a Joy.  This way it's always a Joy.

Well, the tree is setup in the playroom and last night we were playing in there with Samantha.  Other than the candy canes on the tree, Samantha is generally pretty good about leaving the tree alone.  However, last night I turned around and Samantha had a FedEx bad in her hands that I just emptied.  She was walking around the Christmas tree putting ornaments into the bag.  It took me a second to realize what she was doing and then the funniest words came out of my mouth.  "Samantha we don't trick or treat off of the Christmas tree."  It's an honest mistake, how was she to know that you only trick or treat at Halloween.  I still giggle when I think about it. 

Then the next day just after lunch, I was sitting downstairs playing with Samantha before I went back up to work.  Samantha likes to play a "night night" game where she pretends to got to sleep only to pop back up after 30 seconds to surprise me that she wasn't really asleep.  I don't have the heart to tell her that I can see she isn't asleep because she never closes her eyes.  But today she did something different.  She put her hands together right before she went "night night."  I asked Karie if she was praying and Karie held up a Prayer book that she got at the library.  Karie and Samantha had been reading the book so Samantha was starting to pray before she went "night night".  As Samantha sat there Karie says,

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
may angels watch me through the night
and wake me with the morning light
Amen


And Samantha very proudly replies "All Done".

It took a couple minutes for Karie and I to stop laughing.

No comments: