Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Trying to figure out Judgment Day

So on June 24th 2017 the local MTB club is putting on an event called Judgement Day.  It was originally scheduled to happen a couple weeks ago but it got rained out and moved.  Good news (or bad not sure yet) I can participate now.  

"Judgment Day is where you challenge yourself to complete a certain number of trails (as laid out by the Organizers) within 24 hours."

This year they have 9 trails selected with everyone riding the same trail to start and end the event.  

  1. Rowlett Creek Preserve
  2. Sister Grove Park
  3. Erwin Park
  4. Isle Du Bois State Park
  5. Johnson Branch State Park
  6. Knob Hill Trail
  7. Northshore Trail
  8. LB Houston Trail
  9. Harry Moss Park Trail
  10. Rowlett Creek Preserve
There are three categories:  Hard (60ish miles), Harsh (90ish miles), Hellish (SS 90ish miles)

I will be doing the "Hard" since it's the first time I do this event.  

So right now,  I am just trying to wrap my head around the logistics of this event.  Just driving from trail to trail is going to take about 5 hours (200+ miles).



So with a 5:30am start (the earliest they will let you start), taking drive time, 12 minutes to unload and load for each trail (guessing), and assuming a max of 60 minutes (most trails should be under 60) riding at each trail, I ended up with this:
With a grand total elapsed time:

Yep, that is hours.  

So my main concerns at this point:

Light!  
On July 24, sunrise = 6:35am and sunset = 8:32pm.  So I have a hour in the morning and 4-5 hours in the evening of riding in the dark.  

The Heat!
It's going to be hot so hydration is going to be HUGE! 

Eating!
What the hell am I going to eat?   This event is going to span breakfast, lunch, dinner.  My goal is to NOT puke.  The heat is going to make eating rough.  

Swamp Ass!
This kind of goes with the heat.  Sitting in soaked bike shorts for 18+ hours is going to do horrible things to my nether regions.  I do not own 10 pairs of MTB shorts so I can't change after every trail.  I'm going to have to put together a plan on how often I should change.  I probably need to buy 10 gallons of chamois butt'r for this event.

I have a lot of stuff to figure out in the next couple of weeks.


No comments: