Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Flowers

I have been working feverishly to get the flowers completed so we can start to distribute them to friends and family.  They are all pretty much cut out and now I am sanding and priming the them.  I have 11 of them ready to go.  Since it takes time for the primer to dry I can only do some many of the flowers at a time.  So this evening I decided to sit down and start designing my flower.


I started off with a standard type flower and working my way over to a more exotic design.  In this process, I realized how much I still enjoy grabbing a pencil and paper and doodling.  I used to be a pretty good artist when it came to pencil and charcoal.  However, I am so out of practice now that I can barely draw a stick figure.  Regardless, it is still really enjoyable to just to sit down and lose yourself in a blank peice of paper.  Before I knew it, I had been sitting there for over a hour and it was time to go to bed.

My biggest obstacle to this whole process is that that I really suck at painting.  My sister and twin brother have skills with a paint brush so I am sure their flowers will look great.  I just never liked the flexiblity of the brush.  The pencil makes a mark exactly where I put it.  So I think I might have to bust out my airbrush, something I also haven't used in a long time either.  It should provide me a lot more control, I hope.  It will also give me the look I am going for if I go with the flame design.  No matter how the flower turns out, it should be fun.


No comments: