Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkins, Twins, Rain, and Bathtime

What do these four things have in common, pumpkins, twins, rain and bath time.  Well, they are all thinks from this weekend.  Yes, I realize that is a cheesy way to start a blog entry but since it was kind of a random title I thought some explanation was necessary.


Saturday morning Karie, Samantha, and I drove up to Celina to visit the Big Orange Pumpkin Farm.  It was a lot of fun.  They had a petting zoo with cows, longhorns, goats and sheep.  The kiddos were not allowed in the pens with the animals but since we go there first thing in the morning the animals were nice and hungry so it wasn't hard to get them to come over.  Actually the sheep were pretty aggressive and one of them was able to get a feed cup away from Karie and eat it all up.  It was funny because the sheep just shoved it's nose into the cup and tilted it's head back and all the feed was gone!  The longhorns and cows were her favorite.  When she would see one she would run towards them yelling "MMMMOOOOOooooooo!!!!"

Samantha really enjoyed running around the pumpkin patch.  We tried to get her to say "Pumpkin" but it came out more like "Poop" so it sounded like she was running around yelling "Poop!" all morning.  Samantha doesn't get to run around in wide open spaces like I did when I was a kid so we try to get her out as much as we can.  The pumpkin patch was a lot of fun, however, Samantha didn't know what to make of the pumpkins at first.  Once she realized she could pick them up and carry them she was off.  The highlight of the visit was when she found a tiny pumpkin that was just her size.  We also enjoyed a hay ride, which was about 5 minutes too long for Samantha.  She didn't get upset but she was starting to get antsy to move around.

Later that evening we went out to my mom and dad's for dinner and Kevin and Wendy brought out the twins.  They are getting so big and it's hard to imagine how small they were when they were first born.  They are both very aware and look at you and acknowledge you.  They are at an age where they become a lot of fun.  Luke and Grace already have distinct personalities and distinct laughs.  Baby laughs are just awesome!!!  Luke is a little smaller than Grace at the moment but I am sure that won't last for long.  I am so glad that I get to spend time when these two!  It really makes you thing about the blessing in our life and our family when you look at these two!

On Sunday not much was going to happen outdoors because it was actually raining.  It rained on and off most of the day on Sunday and boy did we need it.  It wasn't enough to end the drought but it helped.  The weather man said we still have a 9 inch deficit for rain this year and it looks like it will be a dry winter so unless we get some drought busting rain it looks like my water bill won't be going down anytime soon.

Then finally we get to bath time!  I remember when bath time used to be a fun time, not just a something you did every morning or night that is part of your daily routine.  Samantha loves running water, I guess who doesn't.  The feel and look of it is just cool, no matter how old you are. Samantha was having a really good time in the bath until she fell face first into the water.  For an adult this is not a big deal but for a 15 month old falling like that can be terrifying.  In an instant she was face down and not able to breathe.  Karie scooped her up immediately and I wrapper her in a towel because I knew this meant the end of bath time.  Samantha was crying but it wasn't her normal "I"M PISSED!!!!" cry it was a whiny and pitiful "I'm scared..." cry.  I hate that cry. The pissed cry happens all the time, it's not hard to piss off a little toddler, but the scared cry really bothers me.    It makes me feel like I failed as a parent.  Yes, I know it's just part of her learning but I still don't like it and I know that I can not prevent these situations from happening.  Nor should I try unless I want Samantha to grow up sheltered and scared of the world.  So the best I can do is offer a comforting hug and let her know she is alright.

It wasn't long before she was back to herself and she picked up my brush and decided that she needed to brush mine and her hair. 

So what do pumpkins, twins, rain and bath time mean to me.  It means I had a great weekend with my family and reminds me of how truly blessed I am.


No comments: