Tuesday, May 19, 2015

How do you feel about the rain?

A friend of mine asked a question in her blog:  How do you feel about the rain? I feel like she was baiting me into writing this blog.  
You can read her blog about her 50 marathons before 50 here: http://www.accidentalrunner.com/  It's pretty cool, she actually has writing skills and stuff. 

Let me start this off with a little history.  This time last year Texas was in a pretty severe drought.  As lake levels were dropping rapidly many cities setup watering bans and even some cities started to drink their own toilet water.  Wichita Falls setup a full sewer recycling system so ALL waste water was recycled back into the public water system.  As the year went on the drought got worse and worse.  But at the start of this year it started to rain, thanks to the mysterious El Nino and it hasn't stopped raining for 4 months.  

All the rain has been great for the drought since most of Texas is no longer in a drought.  I'm not sure if Wichita Falls is still drinking toilet water but you never know with those people up there.  

However, all the rain has been horrible for mountain biking. Yes, the trails desperately needed rain but we are beyond that need and all the rain is actually destroying the trails at this point.  Several of my "home" trails will need months worth of work to get them back to a ridable state.  There have been very few races able to go off because trails don't open long enough for any race to happen.  

Speaking of races, I have a 12hr race in Palo Duro Canyon on the 30-31st that I desperately hope isn't going to get canceled.   But it doesn't look good when you look at the total rainfall forecast for next week.  Yes, that middle section says 8.4 inches.

I am not sure if this is a rain or shine event, but I do know that the entire State Park was closed a couple of days ago because the roads were impassable.  So if we can't get into the park then I am pretty sure there won't be a race.  That would really, really suck.  This is the one race that I am really looking forward too.

At this point, I think I would just be happy to be able to ride my bike on dirt.  The majority of my miles/time has been on pavement and that just sucks.  I ride the roads for base/volume, I ride dirt and single track because I love it.  I've been struggling lately to get out on my bikes.  Too much pavement....

So to answer the question, how do I feel about the rain?  
ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING RAIN ALREADY!!!








2 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all buddy, thank you for the shout-out. Secondly. Are you even kidding me with this. REEEEDICULOUS! I'm sorry but 8.4 inches?!? I'm not even gonna make a joke. That is just all kinds of not good.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.