Saturday, May 23, 2015

Man down!!!

Warning:  I like to take pictures of my injuries.  

The goal for this morning was to get out and get 2 hours of easy saddle time in.  I am going to start tapering and just wanted to get a decent but not hard ride in today.  So I jumped on my single speed and took off.  Within 10 minutes of starting my ride it started to rain.  I almost went back to the house but pushed on because I really needed the ride.  There was a south wind so I went south so I could have the wind at my back on the way home.  The bike/hike path that I was on had several wooden bridges that get slick when they are wet but what I didn't see was the 6 inch metal plate at the end of the bridge.  That thing was as slick as ice and I went down so quick there wasn't anything I could have done.  

I left a little skin and blood on the pavement.  As I sat there on the side of the trail assessing my injuries a nice runner stopped to ask if I was okay.  It cracked me up when he said "It's never good when you see a cyclist sitting down."  Pretty much.  

My injuries were pretty superficial so i got up and finished my ride.  I ended up with 28+ easy miles today.  Other than the rain and going down it was a good ride. 

The best part was getting home and jumping in the shower and cleaning out the road rash.  It felt AWESOME!!!

After the accident:

After getting cleaned up:

No comments: