Thursday, May 14, 2015

Jacked up Garmin and aching knee

So where to start on this one.  

On one of my rides the other day I noticed my Garmin 920xt was not picking up my HR from my HR strap.  I just assumed the batteries were dead so when I got home I put a new battery in it.  However, during my next ride it lost the HR signal about 15-20 minutes into my ride.  So then I just assumed the HR transmitter was going bad.  I have had this one for over 2 years so it wouldn't surprise me if it was going bad.  So, I ordered a new one.  It worked just fine when I was on the eBike (GPS turned off) but as soon as I went out for a ride it dead again.  Well this lead me to check to see if the watch was losing connect to my other sensors (Cadence and Speed sensors).  Turns out it wasn't the HR Strap.  It was the watch.  

You can see that the HR and Cadence data is dropping off.  The watch still records the activity and I still get speed from the GPS but I am assuming that my speed sensor is also getting dropped.  

So after some googling and cussing, I found a lot of people complaining about the same issue.  It seems the ANT+ support for the Garmin 920 is pretty shitty and the solution to issues always seemed to be replacement.

I contacted Garmin and here is the response I got:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International, I'll be glad to further assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Forerunner 920xt. To help resolve this issue I would suggest updating the software on your device. You can update the software using our Garmin Express program.

If you continue to have trouble with your device I would suggest returning it to Garmin for service. To set up an RMA (Return Material Authorization) please verify the shipping information provided below.
They sure jumped to "Send us the watch" pretty quickly.  That leads me to believe there really is an issue with the watch.  Unfortunately I have a race in a couple weeks that I need my Garmin for.  So I responded asking for a timeline and haven't gotten anything back yet.  This is going to be a pain in the ass, I know it!!!

Ok, now to my knee, which was pretty pissed last night.  It is feeling a little bit better this morning but it's still aching.  I am pretty sure that the run I did last Saturday is the culprit.  That run caused my knee to get inflamed and it's just going to take some time for it get back to normal.  I saw a ortho several years ago while running and he told me nothing is wrong with the knee but the bottom side of the knee cap is really rough and there are spurs on the front and back.  So the knee is pretty much pre-arthritic.  He told me running or cycling while it's aching won't hurt it but will cause the recovery to last longer.  So basically he told me that if I keep running/cycling then to STFU.   Since I have a race coming up, I am just going to have to suck it up and there will be NO MORE RUNNING until after my race at the end of the month.  I see a lot of ince on my knee in the near future.  

No comments: